This 6 day adventure takes you by bike from the World Heritage site of Hoi An to the central highland hill station of Dalat. This unique journey is a fantastic way to see the country by bike in an ideal climate for biking. The itinerary can be done in reverse as well, for those starting in Dalat and venturing up from the south.
(Hoi An ~ Phuoc Son ~ Ngoc Hoi (Ho Chi Minh Trail) ~ Pleiku ~ Buon Me Thuot ~ Lak Lake ~ Dalat)
Day 1 - Hoi An to Phuoc Son (130 kilometers)
- 7:00 am breakfast at the hotel.
- 8:00 am departure by vehicle from Hoi An World Heritage site (70 km) approximately before we get far enough out of town to start biking.
- 60 km biking through great sections of jungle, nice landscapes and waterfalls. Lunch on the way (picnic style).
- Lunch on the way (picnic style).
- After lunch continue biking to Phuoc Son with an estimated arrival at 3:00 pm.
- Dinner will be organized in Phuoc Son with an overnight in a comfortable local guest house.
Day 2 - Phuoc Son to Ngoc Hoi (120 kilometers)
- Breakfast at the hotel and an early departure at 7:00 am.
- This is the best riding day of the trip with a fantastic 80 kilometer section of deep jungle forest on both sides of the road. The ride is also very hilly and runs along the border of Ngoc Linh National Park and Ngoc Linh Mtn.(2400 meters) through the Truong Son mountain range.
- This is also the day that we travel along the famous Ho Chi Minh Trail.
- The Ba Na and Sedang minorities reside in this jungle area.
- Lunch along the way at a local restaurant.
- Biking in the afternoon to hotel in Ngoc Hoi with estimated arrival time around 4 pm.
Day 3 - Ngoc Hoi to Pleiku (130 kilometers)
- Departure by bike from the hotel at around 8:00 or 8:30 am.
- Visit a local minority village (Ba Na), a scenic suspension bridge and a traditional wooden church. Then, continue visiting Russian Tanks and Charlie Hill.
- Lunch along the way.
- Visit a "Sea Lake" on the way.
- Arrival into Pleiku at 3:00 – 4:00 pm.
Day 4 - Pleiku to Buon Me Thuot (200 kilometers)
- This day is particularly long with 110 km of biking through a fairly flat terrain of coffee and rubber tree plantations. Transport vehicle is available for those wishing to bike a shorter distance.
- The road wanders over rolling hills through fantastic sections of pine forest. A superb biking day.
- Lunch will be taken on the way (picnic style lunch on this day).
- Short transfer (about 45 minutes) into Buon Me Thuot, if not already done biking by this point.
- Overnight in hotel in heart of Buon Me Thuot town.
Day 5 - Buon Me Thuot to Lak Lake (50 kilometers)
- After breakfast depart on a leisurely ride to Lak Lake on mostly flat terrain (50 km biking)
- Arrive in Lak Lake before lunch and check into Lak Resort Lunch at a local restaurant.
- In the afternoon, after a rest, head out to visit one of the old summer retreats of Emperor Bao Dai.
- Take a boat to a remote village on the far side of Lak Lake. Some light trekking is possible from this village.
- Evening free to explore.
Day 6 - Lak Lake to Dalat (150 kilometers)
- 7:00 am breakfast and departure by bike right from your long house.
- Ride as long as possible before transferring by vehicle to the top of Phu Son pass.
- Pic nic lunch at the top of the pass.
- Bike down Phu Son Pass and through rolling hills and farmland to Tanung.
- After biking through Tanung we have the final 17 kilometer uphill push to Dalat. Vehicle transfer for the mere mortals, and one last hammering of the legs up this beautiful jungle crested climb for the supermen.
View route map
||Hoi An Office, 62 Ba Trieu Street, or we’ll pick you up at your hotel.
||Dalat Office, 109 Nguyen Van Troi
||Between 7:30 and 8:30 am
||3:00 pm approximately on Day 6
||Sight seeing, biking, trekking
||Completely customizable between 7 and 10
||Air conditioned mini bus
||Fruit snacks, purified drinking water, picnic lunch, hot meals in local restaurants with mostly Vietnamese food (rice, vegetables, meat). Simple but good. Please note one day in advance if you have special dietary requirements
|What to Bring:
||Hat, sunscreen, repellent, camera, rain jacket, good shoes for walking and biking
|What is included:
||English speaking guide, all necessary forest and tourist permits, first aid kit, mountain bike, helmet and gloves, vehicle and driver, all activities listed above, hotel accommodation for 5 nights, drinking water throughout the trip and all meals except for 2 free nights in Buon Me Thuot and Ngoc Hoi|
|What is not included:
||Soft drinks, hard alcohol and beer. Individual international medical insurance (should be purchased before arrival in Vietnam)
Book 6 Day trip