THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH'S INTERNATIONAL AWARD TRIPS
The Duke of Edinburgh's International Award pushes young people to their personal limits and recognises their achievements through Bronze, Silver and Gold levels. The objective of the Adventurous Journey section is to encourage a sense of adventure and discovery whilst undertaking a team journey or expedition. As part of a small team, participants plan, train for and undertake a journey with a purpose in an unfamiliar environment. Participants are taken out of their comfort zone but kept within a safe and secure setting, achieved through suitable training and supervision. They will have opportunity to learn more about the wider environment, as well as to develop their self-confidence, team work and health.
♦ Time requirements:
+ Practice Journey:
- Bronze: 2 days and 1 night, with 6 hours of activity per day.
- Silver: 2 1/2 days and 2 nights, with 7 hours of activity per day.
- Gold: 3 days and 2 nights, with 8 hours of activity per day.
+ Qualifying Journey:
- Bronze: 2 days and 1 night, with a minimum of 6 hours of activity per day.
- Silver: 3 days and 2 nights, with a minimum of 7 hours of activity per day.
- Gold: 4 days and 3 nights, with a minimum of 8 hours of activity per day.
♦ Minimum Age Requirements:
- Bronze: participants will be allowed to start their Bronze Award in the school year they turn 14.
- Silver: participants can progress to Silver once they have completed their Bronze Award.
- Gold: participants need to wait until their 16th birthday before they can start working on their Gold Award.
♦ Group Size Requirements:
For ALL levels of the Award, the Adventurous Journey must be undertaken in groups of 4 - 7 young people who must all be involved in the planning and preparation. All Adventurous Journey groups must be supervised by a suitable adult shadow party (determined by the Award Units Safety Management System) at all Award Levels for both Practice and Qualifying Journeys.
Detailed program of each Award can be sent to you upon your request. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.